Friday, September 26, 2008

Slow Down The Negotiation, Show Up at the Debate

By: SW

I said in my radio program last night that I am glad that the rescue package is stalled. That means there are issues that have to be worked out. And the word is that conservative Republicans are opposing some parts of the package, and there is even an alternative proposal from the House Republicans which McCain supports. All of these negotiations and compromises are healthy, because they will ensure that the package will be well-crafted. Despite the dire situation, Congress should spend a bit of time to get it right.

As much as I don't like the idea of government bail-outs, this rescue package is probably inevitable. Watching the biggest bank failure unfold right before our eyes is discomfiting. This economy is sick, and the whole financial oversight system needs overhauling.

So I ask myself whether I trust Obama to take over in a this complicated and risky environment, or do I trust an old-hand that has shown that he can reach across the aisle to get things done. The common wisdom is the economic crisis favors Obama. I think independent voters will continue to move into the McCain camp, thus resulting in a McCain/Palin victory.

I expect there will be sufficient progress in the negotiation today that McCain is going to announce that he will join the debate tonight. But the focus will inevitably shift to economic issues even though it may open up with foreign policy issues. Regardless of what happens to the negotiation, I do not think McCain should let Obama turn the debate into a townhall meeting for himself.

McCain needs to come off presidential, in-command, clear and insightful tonight. Even though he is not an orator, he does well in debates as he presents thoughts and ideas in a clear and smooth fashion. On the other hand, Um-bama is not a good debater and ad-hoc speaker. He will come off tentative and lacking in experience. The first debate is usually very crucial so McCain should show up and outshine Obama.

No comments: